Kate Dillon

Kate Dillon Levin (born March 2, 1974 in Washington D.C.)is an American model, activist and humanitarian. She is best known for her work as a plus-size model where she appeared in multiple editorials in fashion magazines, appeared in cosmetics, plus-size, and designer campaigns, worked with top photographers on campaigns and in editorials and appeared in many mass media outlets.She was the first plus-size model to appear in U.S. Vogue and was the first plus-size model to appear in a Gucci campaign. Dillon has also been involved with many non-profit organizations, and is an advocate for eating disorder awareness and treatment, sustainability, global poverty reduction and social justice.She received her bachelor's degree in political science and international studies from University of St. Thomas and master's degree in international development from Harvard University's John F. Kennedy School of Government. Dillon was briefly married to Gabe Levin. During the marriage they had a, son, Lucas Dillon Levin, born in 2010.

Plus Models Unite asks model Kate Dillon:

“You have been open regarding your struggles with body image issues. How did your struggles affect your self-esteem? How did you reach the point of accepting and loving your body as it is?”

Kate:

“I accepted my body, as is, when I was twenty-one years old. I was walking down the beach feeling so self-conscious about my “big” arms and my thigh cellulite.

Suddenly, I realized that it was very likely that every woman on the beach was ruining this gorgeous day at the beach – just as I was – obsessing over her imperfections.

I decided to get over it – that it was more important to be happy, grateful for life’s mystery, and as smart as possible. It really was like a switch flipped in my brain. And I never looked back.”